Monday, March 30, 2009

Teleion Holon - Manchester, VT

I made a chocolate cake tonight. Basically because I needed it. Elyssa and I have talked about the fact that plants should grow in chocolate cake batter. This may or may not be because of this:



My batter did not look quite like that. But I bet it tasted better.


Anyway I got the recipe from Hello Veggie, but I made a few small changes. These changes are in no way enough for me to take any credit for this yummy cake. So thank you Jenn at Hello Veggie for making my night.

1 cup soy milk + 1 T apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 unbleached white flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup softened (not melted)non-dairy non-hydrogenated butter
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup raw sugar
2 T maple syrup

Preheat Oven to 325ยบ. Add the vinegar to the soy milk and set aside to curdle. In a large bowl mix flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa and sift if needed. In a medium bowl combine butter with sugar, maple syrup and extracts. Then cream these ingredients until smooth and add the milk. Next add the dry mixture and stir together until a smooth batter forms.

Grease your cake pan well and fill 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 25 minutes and check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in center. If the toothpick comes out clean, it's done. If it's got batter stuck to it, continue baking for 5 minute intervals until done. Allow cake to cook in the pan for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment