Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Yet another wonderful reminder of why I came here this summer.

The sky has just started to clear up in the evenings and we've had a few nights of starry skies. During one of those nights we brought some blankets out back and laid out under the stars. We stayed out there for a long time, just gazing and talking. I rolled myself up into a burrito in the blanket and I could have stayed out there all night. Finally, Slocum, who is always the last to go to bed, gets up and says that he's tired. I hadn't realized how late it was until he had gotten up.

When I was much younger and living on Long Island, I remember a night when my neighbor and I looked up at the stars. I remember trying to count them with her. The night sky out here is infinitely clearer and the stars so much more visible. When I look at the stars here I can't even imagine trying to count them.

No comments:

Post a Comment