Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Month one recap- Belated

Several people have asked me what the hardest part of this challenge has been so far. At one month in there's only been one big setback and that is eating out. Restaurants always want to give you napkins, there are always unexpected wastes like toothpicks, chopsticks and wax paper, and then if you don't finish your food, there's take out containers.

I had lunch in Albany just after this challenge started and quickly realized that I would need to bring my own container for leftovers and also my own chopsticks. I have both of these items now ready to go, the tricky part will be remembering them when I go out.
Napkins, napkins, napkins. I've asked at least one person to omit my napkin, but in most places they are already on the table. Chances are, if you ask that they be removed they'll just end up in he trash anyway. I think I've also mentioned my extreme discomfort with drawing too much attention to myself, or being anything other than completely forgettable two minutes after I've left a person's presence. I could say it would be nice to get over my fears, but it wouldn't. I don't like people who draw extra attention to themselves and I like not being one of them. I don't have a problem asking people to leave the napkin out if I'm a regular, but I might just have to deal with a stray napkin or two when I eat somewhere new.

I'm open to suggestions though. Maybe only eat at places that use cloth napkins? Pass it off as a serious napkin phobia and say that I've brought my own? Right. Right.

1 comment:

  1. I work with the Vermont hooligan and cannot believe what I have just seen!!! She took the cap off a pen and threw the cap into the trash! Is this what you call trash-free living? Because if so, why not eat a rack of ribs and declare it "Vegan"? The hooligan needs to understand that CAPS MUST STAY ON PENS in order to combat the impending ink shortage. Imay sound crazy but you will see that I am right. LEAVE THE CAPS ON THE PEN AND DO NOT THROW THEM IN THE TRASH!!!

    ReplyDelete