Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Logger's Sister's Apartment- Upper East Side, New York, NY

I have been rather absent lately, mostly because my internet situation has been iffy and also because I've been busy. But I have plenty to write about and a little extra down time right now.

I'm going to start from a few days ago, when The Logger and I were evicted from Teleion Holon. A new batch of cyber creeps came to stay at the house for the long weekend. and they brought a ton of kids. Oliver and family decided to stay at the big white house for the weekend and told us to stay in their apartment Friday and Saturday night. We had Shabbat dinner at the big while house, which went pretty late. When we went back to Teleion the cyber creeps were out and about and we passed one in the hall on the way to the apartment. I said hi and thought nothing of it. A few minutes later there was a knock on the door. It was the woman we had passed in the hall with another woman standing behind her. I greeted her and asked if she needed anything. She then launched into a bit of a monologue about the 17 children in the house and who were we and why didn't we have a separate entrance and she was told that no one would be here and what room did we normally live in? I answered her questions as well as I could and explained that I worked on the farm for Albert's son and that I was very sorry for scaring her and for the miscommunication of who would be in the house and assured her that we really didn't spend much time in the house, all the while acutely aware that she had not introduced herself and did not ask us our names. She seemed very bothered, but was not at all rude, so I figured the whole thing was over and she would calm down eventually.

The Logger and I got ready to settle in for the night when there was another knock on the door. This time is was Albert. He explained that we would need to go and stay at his house for the night because the cyber creeps found us too creepy. Apparently after talking to me the woman called Albert and asked for her money back. He apologized and told her that he would ask us to leave. I know that Teleion Holon is not actually my house, but I have been living there for quite some time and it's the closest thing I have to a home right now. It's a little odd when someone rents the house you live in and then asks you to leave. For the next few days I was really freaked out about going upstairs because I didn't want to cause any more problems. However, there is no bathroom downstairs that we can use when the house is being rented so I had to creep upstairs at least once to use the bathroom. Luckily no one was around. When Sunday came I wasn't too sad to leave Vermont because my coziness had been interrupted and I don't handle transitions and times of small upheaval very well.

So, now I'm in New York with The Logger. I had another job that started on Monday and his sister was kind enough to let her stay in her empty apartment. She lives a few blocks away with her boyfriend and her son. They came and picked us up from the train station and drove us back up here to her apartment. I don't really like driving in New York even though we had our bags and such, I would have been more comfortable on the train. I'm really not a nervous passenger, but New York drivers make me nervous. The only aggressive driver I'm comfortable being in the car with is my brother, so this car ride was somewhat terrifying for me. At one point Tara, The Logger's sister, started yelling to her boyfriend, Damien, that he was driving too crazy. He replied that he didn't think anyone's heart was in their throat, but I couldn't say anything because my heart was in my throat. But we ended up safe and sound in the apartment and I can only hope that I won't have a repeat experience with that car ever again. Ever. I love the subway, so I'm sticking to it.

New York update to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment